Hawks nab another high-ranking official for eThekwini corruption

The Hawks’ Clean Audit Task Team (CATT) has arrested another “high-ranking” official that is said to be involved in the infamous Durban Solid Waste (DSW) tender and eThekwini corruption.

Hawks’ Serious Commercial Crimes Unit spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi confirmed that the man, who cannot be named at this stage of the investigation, was arrested in the eThekwini Municipality around 6:00 on Tuesday morning. 

“He will appear at the Durban Specialised Commercial Crime Court at 9:00 on Tuesday,” said Mulaudzi. 

Here’s how many arrests have been made thus far 

According to Mulaudzi, there have been more than 10 arrests which include various companies and individuals. 

As previously reported by TheSouthAfrican.com, the following people were arrested in December 2019 for their involvement in the eThekwini corruption scandal:

  • Four eThekwini councillors;
  • Eight weighbridge officials; and
  • Three company directors.

eThekwini corruption scandal: Zandile Gumede’s involvement 

The matter is believed to be related to the R208-million tender scam ex-eThekwini Mayor, Zandile Gumede was nabbed for in October 2019. 

“The group was apprehended following a year-long investigation by the Hawks’ Clean Audit Task Team (CATT) for allegedly receiving gratifications, money laundering, contravention of the Municipal Finance Act and Municipal System Act,” Mulaudzi said. 

Gumede, who is said to be the mastermind behind the Durban Solid Waste tender scandal and eThekwini corruption, was out on R50 000 bail last year. 

The Hawks believe that she and other suspects colluded with corporate entities and flouted procurement protocols in outsourcing a Solid Waste Management tender deal worth R208-million to cronies.

Hawks’ to continue with arrests 

When asked how many more arrests had to be made, Mulaudzi said the Hawks’ have a lot more work to do. 

“The investigation is ongoing, we have a lot more information that we’re getting, especially from concerned community members,” he said. 

The new Mayor of eThekwini, Mxolisi Kaunda urged the media to allow the law to take its course when it comes to the eThekwini corruption scandal:

“We must allow the law to take its course. So, all law enforcement agencies, they don’t have to come to us as the leadership of the municipality to ask for a permit to arrest or not to arrest. They are guided by the pieces of legislation of this country and our criminal law justice system is also there to serve our nation. So, we have got nothing to do with that but we will allow the law to take its course,” he said



No comments:

Powered by Blogger.