Caster Semenya fails, Francine Niyonsaba succeeds in qualifying for Tokyo Olympics

Olympic 800m silver medalist Francine Niyonsaba, barred from competing over that distance by World Athletics’ testosterone-reducing regulations, set a Tokyo Olympic qualifying time in the women’s 5 000m in a meeting in France on Tuesday.

READ | WAYDE VAN NIEKERK HASN’T QUALIFIED FOR TOKYO OLYMPICS – YET

The 28-year-old from Burundi, like two-time Olympic 800m champion Caster Semenya, has been trying to qualify for the postponed Tokyo Games later this year.

Francine Niyonsaba clocked 14:54.70 as she finished fourth in Montreuil, bettering her own personal best by more than 17 seconds and easily coming in under the Olympic qualifying time of 15:10.00.

READ | TOKYO OLYMPICS: TEAM SA TO RECEIVE COVID-19 VACCINATIONS

“I’m qualified, I’m very happy, it was my desire,” said Niyonsaba.

“I had a great race, I’m very proud. It was tough for me to step up from 800m to 5 000m, there’s been a lot of suffering.

“It took time, but I persisted, I adapted my training, I doubled my efforts as far as the 800m is concerned.”

Francine Niyonsaba added: “It’s a great response.”

READ | TOKYO OLYMPICS: BLITZBOKS EYE SEVENS GOLD AT END OF LONG TUNNEL

Females like Niyonsaba and South African Semenya who have unusually high levels of testosterone, which gives them added strength, are prohibited from competing in races between 400m and a mile.

It has left them looking around at what other events they might qualify in for the Tokyo Games.

Semenya failed again on Friday in Durban to qualify for the 5 000m, timing 15:32.15.

The International Olympic Committee has set June 29 as the qualification deadline for athletes wanting to compete in Japan. 



No comments:

ads
Powered by Blogger.